Hiring new employees is a substantial investment for a company. When hiring new employees, you hope they’ll stay with your company for many years and provide work that helps your business thrive. Unfortunately, however, bad hires happen. But there is a way that can lower your chance of making a bad hire—a pre-employment background check.
Background checks have become an essential tool for businesses of all sizes in today’s competitive job market. Employers want to ensure they’re hiring suitable candidates with the skills, qualifications, and characteristics required for a particular position.
A background check is a process of verifying an individual’s past work experience, education, criminal history, and other relevant information that can help determine if they’re the right fit for a job. This article will explain what a pre-employment background check covers and some reasons why it’s essential for employers to conduct background checks on applicants, and the benefits that come with it.
What Does a Pre-Employment Background Check Cover?
A pre-employment background check uses the person’s name, birthdate, and social security number to collect information about them from private and public databases. Pre-employment background checks typically include the following:
- Verification of the applicant’s identity — This will confirm that the applicant has provided the correct name and social security number, that they are a citizen of the United States, or that they can legally work in the U.S.
- Criminal history — Become aware of any criminal convictions, if the applicant is on probation or has outstanding warrants, and if they are on any government watchlists or the sex offender registry.
- Employment history — Learn what companies the applicant has worked for and how long. This information will allow you to verify that the work history they provided is accurate.
- Educational background — Verify that the applicants’ college education or degrees listed on their resume are accurate.
- Government-issued licenses — If you’re hiring for a position that requires government-issued credentials, such as a teaching, medical, or CPA license, this will confirm that they are adequately licensed.
- Motor vehicle records — If the position you are hiring for requires the applicant to drive, their motor vehicle record will reveal if they have received any citations or have been involved in any accidents.
- Credit check — This will provide information about how financially responsible the applicant is. If the position you are hiring will give the applicant access to company funds or if they’ll manage a budget, ensuring they are financially responsible is crucial.
Reasons Why Pre-Employment Background Checks are Important
Here are some ways a background check can benefit your company when hiring new employees.
Helps You Make Informed Hiring Decisions
Hiring the wrong candidate can be costly for a business, both in terms of time and money. Conducting a background check allows employers to make informed hiring decisions based on accurate and verified information.
You can assess candidates’ suitability for a particular position by verifying their education, work history, and other relevant information. This can help determine if the candidate has the necessary skills and experience for the job.
Protects the Company and Employees
A comprehensive background check can help protect the company and its employees from potential harm by checking an applicant’s criminal history, including any convictions or arrests. This information can help identify potential risks to the company, its employees, and its clients. It also provides a safer working environment for employees and customers alike.
Reduces Turnover Rates
High turnover rates can be costly for a business, both in terms of time and money. Employers can reduce turnover rates by conducting background checks on applicants, which can help identify potential red flags they may not have discovered during the interview process.
Performing a background check can also ensure that a candidate has the necessary experience, qualifications, and characteristics required for the job. This can help reduce the likelihood of them leaving the position prematurely.
Hiring the right candidate can increase productivity and efficiency within a company. Conducting a background check can help ensure that the candidate has the necessary skills and experience required for the job, which can lead to better job performance and increased productivity.
You can also use the information gathered from a background check to help ensure that the candidate is a good fit for the company’s culture. Ensuring that an applicant fits your company’s culture and can contribute to a positive work environment and increased productivity.
Avoids Legal Liability
Conducting a background check can help employers avoid legal liability. For example, if an employer hires an employee with a criminal history and that employee causes harm to a customer or another employee, the employer could be held liable.
You can uncover potential risks during a background check. This can help you avoid hiring candidates who could pose a threat to the company, your employees, or your clients.
Maintains Your Company’s Reputation
A company’s reputation is crucial to success. You can maintain your company’s reputation by conducting background checks on applicants.
Hiring an employee who turns out to be unqualified or unfit for the job can damage a company’s reputation. Running a comprehensive background check can ensure you’re hiring the right candidates to contribute to the company’s success.
Compliance With Regulations
Certain industries, such as healthcare and finance, require employers to conduct background checks on all employees. Failing to comply with these regulations can result in legal consequences and penalties. Running a pre-employment background check can help employers comply with these regulations and ensure that they’re hiring qualified candidates who meet the necessary requirements.
Turn to Pre-Employment Investigations When It’s Time To Hire
Conducting a background check on an applicant is an essential step in the hiring process. It can help you make informed hiring decisions based on accurate and verified information. In addition, by conducting a background check, you can ensure you’re hiring the right candidates with the necessary skills, experience, and qualifications for the job and who will contribute to the company’s success.
The team at Pre-Employment Investigations has helped businesses make important hiring decisions for over two decades. We will provide copies of all source documents and an explanation of the records. Our background checks will provide the information and insight, so all you have to do is choose the right candidate.
Contact us today for a free quote.